(go back to listing of all recipes)
3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup melted butter, divided
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts or dark chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350į F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
2. In the mixing bowl, combine cocoa and baking soda. Add 1/3 cup melted butter and the boiling water and stir on low until the mixture thickens.
3. Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining 1/3 cup melter butter. Mix until smooth.
4. Add the flour, vanilla, and salt, and mix completely. Stir in nuts or chips, if desired.
5. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies pull away from the sides of the pan, but watch them carefully after 30 minutes to make sure they donít over bake. Cool completely in the pan. Cut into bars.
Click here for a printer-friendly version.